Mikel John Obi started his football career at the age of twelve when he was picked as a talented footballer from over 3,000 young talents to play in Pepsi Football Academy,a team that at that time was well known for traveling across Nigeria scouting for footballer with potentials.
He later started his football career with Plateau United FC.
He represented Nigeria at Under 20 team at 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship and won the Silver Ball for the Second Best Player at the tournament (behind Lionel Messi) as the African finished runner-up to Argentina.
Mikel made his debut for the Nigeria Senior team on 17 August,2005 when he came on as a substitute in a 1-0 friendly win over Libya.
AWARDS & TITLES
* Premier League (2): 2009-10, 2014-15
* FA Cup (4): 2006-07,2008-09, 2009-10 & 2011-12
* League Cup (2): 2006-07,2014-15
* FA Community Shield (1): 2009
* UEFA CHAMPIONS (1): 2011-12
* UEFA Europa League (1): 2012-13
* U20 World Cup 2005
* African Cup of Nation (1) : 2013
* Summer Olympics (Bronze Medal) 2016
* AFCON ( Bronze Medal) 2019
* Silver Ball – U20 World Cup 2005
* African Young Player of the Year (2): 2005 & 2006
* Chelsea Young Player of the Year (2): 2007 &2008
* English Premier League’s African Player of the month of December 2014
* CAF Youth Player of the Year 2006
* CAF Africa finest XI (2): 2006 & 2014
HE HAS GIVEN HIS ALL,HE HAS GIVEN HIS BEST FOR HIS COUNTRY.
I REALLY WISH MIKEL COULD RETIRE WITH THE NATIONS CUP IN HIS HANDS BUT IT DOES NOT MEANT TO BE.
THANKS FOR THE GOOD FOURTEEN YEARS,
THANKS FOR YOUR SACRIFICE FOR NIGERIA,
THANKS FOR BEING A GOOD LEADER,
THANKS FOR PUTTING SMILES ON OUR FACES.
YOU ARE TRULY A LEGEND.
GOD BLESS YOU FUTURE ENDEAVORS MY GUY,
GOD BLESS YOU HOME.
NIGERIANS LOVE YOU.