The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has reacted to viral reports that claimed the Moshood Abiola National Stadium, Abuja has been banned by FIFA.
Naija News recalls that angry citizens on Tuesday evening vandalized the Abuja stadium after Nigeria got denied a ticket to Qatar for the 2022 FIFA World Cup tournament.
The Super Eagles had settled for a goal draw against the Black Stars of Ghana in the decisive match.
The match result was a disadvantage to the hosts as the away goal option was considered for qualification.
Recall that Ghana had held Nigeria to a goalless draw last week in Kumasi, Ghana.
Nigerians, however, could not hold their anger after the final whistle of the 2nd leg played in Abuja as they stormed the pitch to destroy facilities at the stadium.
Reports had emerged after the development that FIFA has placed an indefinite ban on the Abuja Stadium over fans’ invasion of the pitch.
It was also reported that the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) equipment used for the match was missing.
However, NFF’s General Secretary, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, in a statement issued on Friday said the viral reports about the ban were untrue.
Sanusi described the reports as fake news saying; “There is no truth to the reports that the Moshood Abiola National Stadium, Abuja has been banned for any length of time by FIFA.
“It is a concoction by some persons with a fertile imagination. The NFF has not received any such communication from either FIFA or CAF.
“There has also been an outlandish report that the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) equipment that was installed for the match had been stolen.
“We initially thought this was an April Fool prank but it is alarming that some media outlets are taking it seriously.”
Sanusi stressed that nothing of such happened, adding that the reportedly missing VAR equipment remains intact and has been returned to the FIFA office in Zurich, Switzerland by Sebastian Runge, FIFA’s Head of Technology.
“The NFF understands that Nigerians in their generality were sorely disappointed by the result of the match, which came short of having the Super Eagles at the World Cup,” Sanusi said.
He added: “It is a painful situation for everyone, including ourselves at the Federation.
“However, we are appealing that the propensity for half truths and outright falsehood be discouraged. We believe that the present squad of Super Eagles is still capable of achieving great things.”
This article was originally published on Nigeria News