England fans ‘standing up and applauding’ Kobbie Mainoo for running semi-final vs Holland as he sets major record

England fans ‘standing up and applauding’ Kobbie Mainoo for running semi-final vs Holland as he sets major record

ENGLAND fans have joined forces to wax lyrical about the performance of Kobbie Mainoo.

Manchester United midfielder earned a spot in the starting XI for Gareth Southgate‘s team in the Euro 2024 against the Netherlands following an impressive display against quarter-final opponents Swizterland.

RexKobbie Mainoo impressed in the first half against the Netherlands[/caption]

GettyEngland fans joined forces to ‘stand up and applaud’ Mainoo[/caption]

In doing so at the age of just 19 years and 82 days old, Mainoo became the youngest ever player to play in a semi-final of a major tournament for the Three Lions.

And while some may have folded under the pressure, to quote Alan Shearer pressure is for tyres, and not Mainoo.

Mainoo had an impressive first half in the BVB Stadion.

He had won 100 per cent of his tackles and duels, completed 25 passes, made two interceptions and created the joint-most chances for England – almost assisting Phil Foden‘s attempt which was cleared off the line.

Fans took to social media to praise the display as England entered the break 1-1 courtesy of Xavi Simons stunner being cancelled out by a Harry Kane penalty.

One fan said: “Less than 30 per cent of earth is covered by land, the other 70 per cent is covered by Kobbie Mainoo.”

A second said: “Kobbie Mainoo, I’m standing up and applauding.”

A third said: “Mainoo is RUNNING the game in a major international semi-final at nineteen. What a monster.”

BEST FREE BET SIGN UP OFFERS FOR UK BOOKMAKERS

Another said: “Mainoo running that midfield. Some of you England twonks doubted him. Only 19 yrs old & bossing a major international tournament Semi-Final. You gotta respect it.”

A fifth added: “Kobbie Mainoo, they can never make me hate you. forget the football rivalry. As an Arsenal fan, this guy is the truth and absolutely nothing less.”

A sixth said: “The world seeing what United fans have been talking about all season.”

Another said: “Hype was on [Cole] Palmer to be the game changer for England off the bench but it’s Kobbie Mainoo who’s taken the opportunity and made the most of it. What a player.”

Match Stats

MatchDay Live

Southgate needs Mainoo to help cure England’s fear, says Jack Wilshere

KOBBIE MAINOO has shown he is the player that England need to build their midfield ­— and their team — around, writes Jack Wilshere.

That’s what I felt as it looked like we were slipping to defeat against Slovakia.

I know he was not on the pitch when our goals went in.

But until that unbelievable comeback, Mainoo was our best player.

He has a fearlessness and an instinct to do the right things at the right times that seemed to be lacking for so much of the game.

Mainoo alongside Declan Rice gives England better structure. In theory, at least, because for so long it didn’t look like that.

You can have any structure you like but if a team, individually and collectively, lacks confidence, you cannot use that structure effectively.

A fear can creep in. A fear of failing. A fear of losing the ball.

It is partly because of his age that Mainoo does not have that, or appears not to have it.

This was his first start in a major tournament. He does not know what it is like to have a bad one.

If we want to win this tournament, starting with the quarter-final against Switzerland, we will need to control games better.

Mainoo is the kind of midfielder England have been crying out for for a long time.

He can be the glue that holds together this team for the rest of the tournament and well into the future.

Read Jack Wilshere’s column in full.

Or check out all of Jack’s Euro 2024 opinions.

back link building services=