Buhari tackles ex-Vice President Atiku over United States travel ban on Nigeria

Buhari tackles ex-Vice President Atiku over United States travel ban on Nigeria

President Muhammadu Buhari has come hard on the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) candidate in last year’s presidential election, Atiku Abubakar over the latter’s comments on the travel ban imposed on Nigeria by the United States.
He said the former Vice President got it wrong by blaming his administration for the US action.
Atiku had on Saturday blamed President Buhari’s government for the travel ban on the country by the United States.
In a statement by his media office, Atiku insisted that Nigeria would not have been banned if the Buhari government had taken information sharing with the United States very serious.
“While I understand the reasons given by the Trump administration (the failure of the Muhammadu Buhari-led administration to share information and to address issues of terrorism), the ban does not take into account the pro-American sentiments of the Nigerian public and the solidarity previous Nigerian administrations have had with the United States,” Atiku said.
But President Buhari in his reaction to Atiku’s statement said the former Vice President was economical with the truth over his statement.
He said it was utterly disgraceful that a former VP of Nigeria would deliberately, misinform and mislead Nigerians on the US travel ban.
Speaking through his Senior Special Assistant on Social Media, Lauretta Onochie, Buhari urged Atiku to apologise to Nigerians.
Buhari said the new travel restrictions affects only the issuance of immigrant visas to Nigerian passport holders but not other categories of visas like official, tourism or business visas as erroneously being stated by Atiku.
He said his government has already issued a statement, saying it will work with the “US Government, INTERPOL and other stakeholders to ensure all updates are properly implemented