The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, has withdrawn the suit filed against the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami and the Independent National Electoral Commission over his presidential ambition.
The counsel to the CBN governor, S.T. Maliki, told the presiding judge, Justice Ahmed Mohammed, that a notice of discontinuance had been filed and served on the defendants in the matter.
Maliki stated this on Monday shortly after the matter was called.
He noted that though the matter was scheduled for the mention, Emefiele instructed them to withdraw the suit.
Maliki said, “Under the instruction of the plaintiff (Emefiele), we filed a notice of discontinuance dated and filed May 16, 2022.
“And the said notice of discontinuance was served on all the defendants on that said date of May 16, 2022, which proof of service is before your lordship.”
The lawyer said of all the defendants, only the 4th and 5th defendants filed a counter-affidavit in response to the plaintiff’s amended originating summons after the notice of withdrawal had been served on them.
He prayed the court to discontinue the suit and make an order striking it out, issues having not been joined by parties in the suits, citing Order 50 of the rules of this court.
Although the lawyer of the 4th defendant, John Aikpokpo-Martins, opposed Emefiele’s intention to withdraw the suit, he urged the court to dismiss the suit at the cost of N1.5 million.
However, counsel for the 2nd and 3rd defendants, Chris Nevo and T. J. Adi, respectively, did not object to the withdrawal notice.
For Nevo, he asked the court to award an N1 million cost against Emefiele.
Justice Mohammed in his ruling held that Emefiele had the right to file the notice of withdrawal.
He said the notice of discontinuance was valid and accordingly struck out.
This article was originally published on Nigeria News