Fresh information has emerged that the ex-corps member who was kidnapped during last Tuesday night’s attack on the Kubwa Extension II Relocation Estate, along the Arab Road area of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja has been released on Sunday.
Naija News gathered that the lady identified as Adenike, who just completed her National Youth Service Corps scheme in November was freed after payment of an undisclosed amount to her abductors.
According to Punch, an undisclosed sum was paid to the bandits to effect Adenike’s release from their den.
It would be recalled that Adenike, and another older lady, were kidnapped on Tuesday night, and their abductors requested a sum of N100 million, and N60 million respectively, from their relatives, as a ransom for their freedom.
Adenike’s elder brother, Femi, was reported to have told Punch last week that “We tried talking them into reducing the sum but they didn’t budge.
“The total number of persons kidnapped is seven. But the police have assured us of their safe return, as they said they’re working tirelessly to locate the bandits.”
However, Naija News understands that sources confirmed to Punch that though a ransom was paid for Adenike’s release, but the sum was way less than the N100 million earlier requested by the bandits.
The vice chairman of the estate, where she resides, Frank Boboi confirmed her release this morning when he said “We’re happy that Adenike has been released. She was released on Sunday and has since returned to her family.
“Yes, a ransom was paid, but I can’t disclose the sum, as it is confidential. But we thank God, the community and everyone for their support.”
A family source who pleaded anonymity also said “It is true that Adenike has been released, and she’s now home with the family. Although a ransom was paid for her freedom. We hope that others would be released soon too.”
Meanwhile, Naija News understands that the spokesperson for the FCT Police Command could not confirm the development to Punch when contacted because she was at the ongoing Nigeria Police Force Public Relations Officers’ annual conference in Ibadan.
Her deputy, Omotayo Oduniyi also said he was yet to confirm the development.
Oduniyi noted that “I’m currently in a meeting. I’ll confirm the development and revert, please.”
However, reports are that the six other victims still in the kidnappers’ den are two male children, an older woman, and three male adults.
This article was originally published on Naija News